We all love Christmas treats – so let’s have some guilt-free goodies to enjoy. In fact not just guilt-free but even nutritional! These brownies are packed with vitamins and minerals and because they are raw have not lost any of their health-packing values, promoting bone health and a beautiful skin.
1. Christmas Brownies
- 100g (skin on) Almonds – Vitamin E; Potassium; Magnesium; Calcium and Iron.
- 250g Medjool Dates (pitted) – Calcium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and zinc.
- 2 tbs set honey (raw if possible) – harmonises the liver, neutralises toxins and relieves pain.
- 75g cocoa powder (raw is best) – anti-depressant, mildly stimulant.
- 50g chopped pecan nuts/walnuts – source of omega 3 and healthy fibre.
- 50g dried cranberries soaked in apple/orange juice – improve blood circulation.
- ½ tsp salt.
Prepare a tin by lining with lightly oiled grease-proof paper.
Whizz almonds in food processor; add dates, honey, cocoa and salt. Mix to a
dough-like consistency; stir in pecans/walnuts and cranberries. Press all into lined tin.
Cut into squares after chilling for minimum 15 mins in fridge.
Decorate squares, place in individual paper holders or on plate doily according to the occasion!
Another Christmas Treat, packed with defensive vitamins to protect against the winter cold and lack of sunshine, is the following recipe. It can be a tangy breakfast or refreshing after-dinner sweet, as you prefer. The potential health benefits of this dish are – protection against cancer, heart disease, infection, rheumatoid arthritis and cell damage, promotes healthy skin and the immune system, is also an anti-inflammatory.
2. Spiced Citrus
- 240g Greek-style/soya/Yeo Valley yoghurt.
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon – essential oils which act as a strong natural antiseptic.
- 1 tbsp runny honey harmonises the liver, neutralises toxins and relieves pain.
- 3 ruby grapefruit – Vitamin C.
- 3 large oranges – Vitamin C.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter.
- 3 tbsp. dark muscovado sugar.
- 1 tsp allspice – indigestion, high blood pressure, diabetes, toothache and antiseptic.
- a handful of toasted and chopped pecans – Vitamins E&B, manganese and copper.
For this Christmas Treat, mix together the yoghurt, cinnamon, chilli and honey. Peel the grapefruit and oranges, cut away white pith. Working over a bowl to catch the juice, cut between the membranes to remove segments. Heat butter in frying pan and add juice from the bowl, sugar, allspice and 50ml water. Gently simmer, stirring until the sugar has dissolved and the liquid has reduced to syrup. Spoon the fruit into serving bowls and top with the syrup, spiced yoghurt and pecans. Serve immediately.
Christmas Treats! So simple, so quick, so delicious and HEALTHY too!