Curcumin! How powerful can you be? In our previous articles, we have looked at the Mediterranean diet and all its wonderful health benefits. Today, we move further East to look at Turmeric and its fellow spices for all their amazing properties! Essentially, both the Mediterranean diet and Eastern spices may reduce oxidative stress. It is oxidative stress that can lead to inflammation. Chronic oxidative stress can make our bodies susceptible to cardiovascular or cancerous diseases.
So, what are spices doing for us?
Scientific studies led by Viuda-Martos et al (Spices as functional foods), highlight what spices can do….….
Spices are antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic and antiviral. (www.mdpi.com/journal).
Therefore, our spice racks have extremely high potential for keeping our bodies healthy!
With such wonderful healing properties, science is now analysing curcumin’s use in preventing chronic oxidative stress.
What is curcumin?
Curcumin is a compound found in turmeric with multiple healing properties. Scientists have been extracting curcumin from turmeric to give a higher concentration of the compound.
If curcumin in turmeric can reduce chronic oxidative stress, can it reduce the risk of inflammatory diseases caused by oxidative stress?
Can spices reduce our risk of developing cardiovascular, and cancerous diseases?
- Increasingly, science demonstrates that oxidative stress, chronic inflammation and cancer are closely linked.
- Curcumin from turmeric is shown to improve chronic stress and therefore can reduce chronic inflammation in the body.
What is science analysing?
- Scientists are analysing turmeric’s potential for preventing cancer
- Curcumin from turmeric may reduce cell mutations.
- Curcumin is detoxifying. It mops up damaging free radicals. This may then reduce DNA damage.
- Less DNA damage means a reduced chance of tumours developing.
- this promising molecular compound from turmeric may help prevent colon, oral, intestinal and colon cancers This spice is under investigations in numerous studies all over the world. Plenty of science behind and if you are interested please read this reference article. Very promising!
For further information on the healthy benefits of spices, contact us.