Olives and Strong Bones
Olives and olive oil, both major ingredients of a Mediterranean diet, are beneficial for bones health and strength.
Studies reveal olives help:
- Research studies reveal that olives, olive oil or olive polyphenols have properties that can protect our bones.
- An olive oil enriched diet can improve healthy new bone formation and strength.
Can an olive oil enriched diet help osteoporosis?
Since olives can improve our bone health, they may in particular help people with osteoporosis. Now that science has revealed the bone strengthening properties of olives, further specific studies in to osteoporosis have been proposed.
The fact that olives and its products can protect our bones is very promising.
Why might olives be helping?
- Olives contain high levels of phenolic compounds.
- Phenolic compounds work as effective antioxidants in our bodies. They mop up harmful free radicals which can cause problems to our bodies.
- Olives (phenolic compounds) also have a powerful anti-inflammatory effect on the body.
Why do we get osteoporosis?
- Osteoporosis occurs when we get too much bone loss.
- Bone loss means low calcium levels in our existing bone tissue.
- Loss of calcium causes bone thinning and low bone mass density.
- Lack of antioxidants and inflammation may also lead to osteoporosis or weak bones.
- Olives are a good source of antioxidants.
- Olives have effective anti-inflammatory properties.
In Conclusion: Eating an olive and olive oil enriched diet seems a smart move! Olives will improve calcium levels to our bones. With their antioxidant effect, they can mop up harmful free radicals in the body. They also could soothe inflammation.
If you want to strengthen and protect your bones, olives and olive oil could help!